Meatless Cheesy Burrito Bake
Photography Courtesy Culinary.net
Featured in November/December 2020
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 bell peppers, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, undrained
1 16-ounce can refried beans
6 8-inch wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet heat oil. Cook peppers, onion, and cumin until peppers are tender.
- In a saucepan combine water and brown rice. Cook for 45 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine 1¼ cups of the evaporated milk, shredded cheese, and green chiles. Cook over medium until cheese is melted and smooth. Stir ¾ of the cheese mixture into rice; set remaining cheese sauce aside.
- In a medium bowl combine refried beans and remaining evaporated milk. Microwave 3 to 4 minutes.
- Lay out tortillas and layer ingredients in this order: refried bean mixture, rice mixture, and pepper-onion mixture. Roll into burritos and place in baking pan. Top burritos with remaining cheese sauce. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- If desired, serve with salsa and guacamole. Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy Culinary.net