Taco-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Photography Courtesy Lindsay Olives
Featured in July 2020
2 spaghetti squash (2 pounds each)
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
1 pound ground chicken
1 cup diced red onion
3 cloves garlic minced
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 2¼-ounce can black ripe sliced olives
1 lime juice only
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1 avocado diced
1 large tomato diced
1 jalapeño minced
½ cup medium black ripe olives
1 lime cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In the microwave cook one whole squash 3 minutes. Repeat with second squash. Cut each in half and scrape out seeds. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil over each half and rub around until insides are coated. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper to taste; place halves, scraped sides down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet center so they lie flat. Bake 50 minutes.
- Heat large sauté pan over medium-high. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan, then chicken, ¾ cup onions, and garlic. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and 1 teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Bring mixture to boiling and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes to reduce liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sliced olives and lime juice.
- When squash is cooked, scrape insides with a fork to release from edge and create a nest. Put ¼ of the chicken mixture and ¼ cup cheese in each squash section.
- Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with avocado, diced tomatoes, remaining onions, jalapeño, whole olives, and lime wedges.
Recipe courtesy Lindsay Olives