Tex-Mex Beef Lasagna
Recipe and Photography Courtesy Beef-Loving Texans
Featured in Winter 2023
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 pounds ground beef
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 15-ounce can corn, drained
1 15-ounce can seasoned black beans, drained
1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green peppers, drained
1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
Nonstick cooking spray
12 corn tortillas
8 ounces shredded Mexican-blend cheese
Fresh cilantro (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large pan or skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat, then add onion slices. Cook until softened, for about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring regularly, until beef has browned.
- Add kosher salt, garlic powder, cumin, chipotle powder, and onion powder; stir well. Add corn, black beans, and diced tomatoes. Turn heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine the enchilada sauce and crema; mix well.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour about ¼ cup enchilada sauce mixture on the bottom to prevent tortillas from sticking.
- Layer 2 to 4 tortillas across bottom, then top with a layer of ground meat mixture. Use the ladle to spoon some enchilada sauce mixture on top, distributing evenly. Top with another layer of tortillas, then repeat layers until casserole is full, 3 to 4 layers. Top with shredded cheese.
- Loosely cover dish with foil in a tent shape to help prevent cheese from sticking. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro and green onions if desired. Makes 10 servings.
Recipe courtesy Beef-Loving Texans