Uncle Tom’s Spritz Sandwich Cookies
Photography by Ben Lochard
in the kitchen with… November/December 2020
⅔ cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ cups butter at room temperature
3½ cups powdered sugar
¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients, except flour. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture is light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add flour. Reduce speed to low. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed, 2 to 3 minutes.
- If dough is too soft, cover; refrigerate until firm enough to form cookies, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Place dough into cookie press. (Elizabeth uses the straight-line disc for a ribbon effect.) Place cookies 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on rack.
- In a mixer bowl, cream butter for 1 minute.
- Add other ingredients; mix 3 to 4 minutes on high speed.
- Frost half of cooled cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form a sandwich cookie. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Recipe courtesy Elizabeth Williams